Yesterday afternoon, in what turned out to be the longest nine inning against in Tampa Bay Rays history as they completed the game in just over four and a half hours!
The Rays scored 11 times, thanks mostly due to a seven run ninth inning. Matt Andriese went five innings and was backed by a strong bullpen performance, with a notable shoutout to Erasmo Ramirez who pitched two clean inning. 2013 first round pick, Ryne Stanek, made his major league debut in the eighth inning, recording an out and allowing a basehit.
There were several offensive standouts for the Rays as six of them had multi-hit games. Corey Dickerson went 4-6, his American League leading 16th multi-hit game of the year. Evan Longoria, Rickie Weeks, Tim Beckham, Kevin Kiermaier, and Jesus Sucre all had two hits apiece while Steven Souza blasted his 5th home run of the season.
- Ryne Stanek joined the club after former top prospect, Blake Snell, was demoted to Triple-A Durham
- For his part, Blake Snell took the demotion in stride
- Tonight, the Rays travel to Cleveland as they’ll begin a three game set with the Indians. First pitch is at 6:05pm EST with Chris Archer taking on Carlos Carrasco
- Marc Topkin discussed the Rays draft strategy with scouting director, Rob Metzler
- Byron Buxton made an incredible catch
- David Price should make his season debut some time next week for the Red Sox
- The Washington Nationals are really, really good...except for their bullpen
- The New York Yankees retired Derek Jeter’s number in an emotional ceremony