Yesterday, with Brad Miller slow to recover from an abdominal injury, the Rays sent him to the 10-day disabled list and acquired infielder Michael Martinez. Daniel Robertson will generally start at second base, and Martinez will provide depth.
Mooney filled in the corresponding 40-man move:
To make room on 40-man, #rays transfer LHP Cedeno to 60-day DL— Roger Mooney (@RogerMooney50) May 18, 2017
- A busy day at The Process Report has Jason Collette observing that Kevin Kiermaier pulls groundballs too often on pitches on the outer third.
- And Carl Gonzalez observing the extent to which Tim Beckham is a fastball hitter.
- Craig Edwards dives into how much stock to put into early-season StatCast hitting numbers. This is good work. Give it a read.
- Mark Topkin wrote about the pair of young power arms, Ryne Stanek and Jose Alvarado.
- Baseball America’s new mock draft has the Rays taking “the draft’s best position player,” Royce Lewis.
- Jon Heyman says the Rays are making calls to evaluate the trade value of Alex Cobb, and that other teams think the Rays might also sell Jake Odorizzi and Chris Archer.
- Heyman also has a note in there about Brad Miller: “Brad Miller kept using the pink Mother’s Day bat after the weekend, and he kept raking.” Which seems like an odd thing to say, being that Miller hasn’t especially raked this year, and the story of the pink bat was about how Miller was just told he has to stop using it. And also Miller just went to the DL. So take Heyman’s roundup for whatever you think it’s worth.
- Jeff Zimmerman observed how three-true-outcomes extreme these Rays are.
- I don’t know that the MLB At Bat is the most obvious thing to put into virtual reality, but they’re going to anyway. Innovation!