Tim Beckham has been much maligned for pretty much day 1. For his entire development, the comparisons to what could have been had the Rays selected the former Florida State Catcher. And for a long time, it looked like the dreaded B word was gonna be Tim Beckham’s future.
However, Bex has contributed and flashed some of that promise that made him the top overall pick all those years ago. Even when he was providing a league average bat, and above average defense from the SS position (something that is far rarer and more valuable than far too many gave him credit for), the “disappointing” label was still in many fans minds.
Then came this year, and Beckham has gotten the chance to get regular opportunities, and has taken advantage in a big way.
- Michael Baumann of The Ringer profiles Tim Beckham’s long road from Not-Buster-Posey to carving out his own path.
- As you might have read right here on the ‘Bay (that’s what all you cool kids call this site, right?), Matt Duffy is beginning his rehab assignment in Charlotte.
- As Duffy is getting closer to returning, another potentially miserable moment in a dismal game came when Steven Souza Jr left early without an apparent reason. Turns out, his hand is still sore but still not broken:
#Rays Cash said Souza's hand was the issue, had x-rays, negative again, just sore— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) May 9, 2017
- Loving the Rays social media snark:
Gary please stop tweeting us on an empty stomach. pic.twitter.com/1wFlaDfcon— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) May 9, 2017
- The weird Harvey drama continues, and I am still left to wonder what the heck is going on with the Mets and Matt Harvey?