Yesterday, the Tampa Bay Rays fell to the Los Angeles Angels in a well contested game. The Rays were shutout for the first six innings and trailed 2-0 in the seventh when Logan Morrison launched his 26th home run of the season to tie the game at two. Unfortunately for the Rays, the duo of Jumbo Diaz and Adam Kolarek allowed two runs to the Angels in the eighth inning.
The Rays would scratch across a run in the ninth and even had the bases loaded with one, but a double play would end the game.
The Rays are now 49-44 on the season and are second in the American League East, trailing the Red Sox by three games. Meanwhile, they hold the first Wild Card spot with a half game lead over the Yankees.
- The West Coast trip continues tonight as the Rays and Jake Odorizzi take on Daniel Gossett and the Oakland Athletics
- Following the game yesterday, the Rays designated Jumbo Diaz for assignment and promoted Andrew Kittredge from Durham
- Speaking of the Athletics, they just dealt two of their top relievers (Sean Doolittle & Ryan Madson) to the Washington Nationals
- The Rays had a scout in San Diego to watch the Giants and Padres, reportedly had his eye on Hunter Strickland
- How does Pablo Sandoval’s contract compare to the other awful deals around baseball?
- The Chicago Cubs acquired Jose Quintana from the White Sox in exchange for several of their top prospects