Last night, the Tampa Bay Rays defeated the Oakland Athletics in thrilling fashion as they rallied with the bases empty and two outs in the ninth to push the tying and go-ahead runs across, after which, Alex Colome closed things out in the bottom half of the frame to give the Rays a 4-3 victory.
Steven Souza homered again, his 20th of the season, he now has three homers in five games since returning from the All-Star break. Blake Snell struggled to pitch deep again as struggles with his command led to another early departure. Kevin Cash was ejected after coming onto the field following a Steven Souza strikeout.
The Rays are now 51-44, and are still two games back in the American League East, but they are also steadily pulling away in the Wild Card as they’ve built a game and a half lead over the second Wild Card team -- the New York Yankees.
- Today, the Rays and Athletics will play the final game of their three game set at 3:35 with Jacob Faria taking on Sonny Gray. The Rays are off on Thursday, then they’ll return to the Trop for a three game series with the Texas Rangers.
- Logan Morrison has been named the Rays Heart & Hustle Award winner by MLB Alumni
- The Chicago White Sox will be promoting uber-prospect, Yoan Moncada
- Speaking of the White Sox, they combined with the Yankees to complete a seven player trade yesterday that sent Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle to New York in exchange for Tyler Clippard, Blake Rutherford, Ian Clarkin, and Tito Polo.
- Another AL Central team was busy with a trade as well with the Detroit Tigers sending JD Martinez to the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Carlos Correa, the Astros phenomenal short stop, could be out for at least two months after suffering a torn thumb ligament