The Tampa Bay Rays and reeling and need to right the ship immediately.
After taking control of the Wild Card lead and seemingly in a position to go after the division lead, the Rays have now lost 4 in a row, sinking back now into a tie for the second Wild Card spot, a game back of the Yankees for the top spot, but still are three and half games back of the Red Sox in the division.
The loss yesterday afternoon was more of the same as Jake Odorizzi struggled to pitch deep, the bullpen couldn’t hold the late lead, and the Rays couldn’t deliver the big hit when needed.
The Rays will now welcome in the Baltimore Orioles for a three game set as they hope to snap out of their funk.
- Blake Snell goes for the Rays tonight, he’ll be opposed by Kevin Gausman
- Over the weekend, the Rays made an addition to their bullpen as they acquired veteran pitcher, Sergio Romo. He is expected to be activated before tonight’s game. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Rays are still searching for more.
Romo will NOT be #Rays’ last bullpen addition. Team attracted to K rate (11.16/9) and big-game experience. Simply taking a shot.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 23, 2017
- The Minnesota Twins designated Craig Breslow for Assignment
- Clayton Kershaw is dealing with more back issues and was removed from a start after only 2 innings, he appears bound for the DL
- Unable to find a third baseman on the market, the Boston Red Sox have promoted their top prospect, Rafael Devers
- Philadelphia is heavily scouting the Rays system while Tampa Bay is known to be interested in reliever, Pat Neshek