Happy Independence Day eve everyone!
Yesterday afternoon, the Rays rode a big inning to victory over the Chicago Cubs as they tallied five runs during the 4th inning. Tim Beckham clubbed his 11th home run of the year while Chris Archer helped out his own cause with a RBI basehit.
Archer would pitch six innings, yielding three runs over the course of his outing. Brad Boxberger and Tommy Hunter would work scoreless 7th and 8th innings. Alex Colome, who has been struggling mightily as of late, nearly squandered a three run lead as he allowed two runs, but would record the final out with the tying and go-ahead runners on base to lock down the victory for the Rays.
The Rays are now five and half games back in the division (Boston won’t stop winning) while they’re just a game and half behind the Yankees for second and the top Wild Card spot. Meanwhile, the Rays share the second Wild Card spot with the Minnesota Twins and Kansas City Royals.
- Today, the Rays will play another afternoon game with the Cubs with Blake Snell taking on John Lackey
- Logan Morrison is not happy with MLB inviting two Yankees to participate in the Home Run Derby
- Speaking of Logan Morrison, he could use fan support now more than ever, vote him into the All-Star Game!
- Brent Honeywell had a nice start for the Durham Bulls last night
- Three keys to Corey Dickerson’s breakout season
- The Toronto Blue Jays have acquired Miguel Montero
- Also regarding the Blue Jays, they may try to rebuild so Marcus Stroman could be on the block