Today is the final day of All-Star balloting, so you should be parked at this site, getting counted for Logan Morrison. And as of 10:00, any public tweet that includes #GOLOMO will count as a vote as well. Be ready.
Segue: Beat writer Mark Topkin was ready to leave Wrigley Field yesterday, but couldn’t.
And apparently this is a thing that happens.
There's a club! This is excellent. I've thrice been locked in -- and once with a screaming, bleating alarm!— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) July 6, 2017
There was a happy conclusion, thank goodness.
- The Rays could not reach an agreement with 31st pick Drew Rasmussen, and will get the pick back next year.
- Danny Farquhar cleared waivers and was assigned to Durham.
- Baseball Prospectus released their midseason top-50 prospect list. Check for Brent Honeywell and Willy Adames.
- BP also released their panic index, with the Rays and the Yankees grouped in “Only Mild Discomfort.” The blurb on the Rays is clever: “The Rays ... the Rays continue to barely live up to the expectations they never truly had.”
- Matt Swartz begins a month-long residency at FanGraphs with a bang, delving into baseball economics.
- The annual “Does the Home Run Derby hurt participants?” post.