Eric Longenhagen has started to publish updated top-10 prospect lists and today he released the American League East lists.
The Rays Top 10 is quite impressive and Longenhagen says, “Seven potential top-100 prospects comprise the bulk of a loaded top 10.
1. Willy Adames, SS (Preseason #1)
2. Brent Honeywell, RHP (Preseason #2)
3. Brendan McKay, LHP/1B
4. Jesus Sanchez, OF (Preseason #4)
5. Jose De Leon, RHP (Preseason #3)
6. Jake Bauers, 1B (Preseason #5)
7. Wander Franco, SS
8. Lucius Fox, SS (Preseason #8)
9. Garrett Whitley, OF (Preseason #11)
10. Josh Lowe, OF (Preseason #6)
Chih-Wei Hu (#7) and Adrian Rondon (#10) fell out of the top ten. Casey Gillaspie (#9) would have likely fallen out of the top 10, but was traded to the Chicago White Sox.
The Rays have two big additions in Brendan McKay with the number four overall pick and Wander Franco as the number one ranked international free agent.
Resly Linares receives a mention as a prospect received strong consideration. Justin Williams is on the outside looking thanks to the surfeit of blue-chip talent that is in the system.
This is a very solid list that shows the depth and diversity the Rays’ system. They have some very good prospects that are on the verge of breaking into the majors and some guys down on the farm with significant upsides.