- Marc Topkin made his lineup of 9 folks who could share the blame for the 2nd half offensive struggles for the Rays club.
- It turns out it was indeed Chase Whitley getting the call to return from Durham for the shuttling Jose Alvarado.
- Also, Matt Andriese threw 50 pitches in Class-A on his rehab assignment. Cash had this to say,
"He said it was hot but he got his workload in," Cash said. "We wanted him to go three-plus actually, which he did, so he's on schedule to make another start. We haven't discussed where that's going to be, whether it's Charlotte or Durham."
- Fun read from Meg Rowley at Baseball Prospectus on one of the more bizarre moments from the baseball season: the 18 minute delay where umpires and Paul Molitor got super confused over the rules of the double switch.
- Jeff Zimmerman at the Hardball Times lists his 10 most vexing players.
- Finally, a real inspiring, emotional night in Colorado as Chad Bettis made his return to the diamond recovering from cancer treatment. Bettis went 7 scoreless, and just another reason it’s hard not to be romantic about baseball.