- Roger Mooney at the Tampa Bay Times profiled Brad Miller, and his efforts to overcome a season long slump.
- Brendan McKay showed off his pitching the other day, and last night he showed off the bat:
#Rays No. 3 prospect @Brendan_mckay38 swats a game-tying homer in the bottom of the ninth for @HVRenegades.— MiLB.com (@MiLB) August 8, 2017
- Fun infographic on that return of the walkoff HR to Tampa Bay:
ICYMI: Sean Rod hit our last walk-off HR in 2014. Yesterday, right after Souza ended that drought, Sean walked-off again for the Pirates. pic.twitter.com/QyW1GC1iHn— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) August 7, 2017
- On the subject of that walk-off, Topps cards have documented the Souza blast and ice shower:
The @RaysBaseball are celebrating after Steven Souza Jr.'s walk-off home run! https://t.co/TS6fetdeMJ #TOPPSNOW pic.twitter.com/2CVmyHNNQw— Topps Company (@Topps) August 7, 2017
- Sad news for the baseball world, as Don Baylor died at the age of 68. Baylor was known for quite a lot in his illustrious baseball career, but perhaps nothing greater than being the absolute king of the HBP.
- Tony Blengino on Fangraphs posted a mid-season update to his BIP-based park factor.
- Jerry DiPoto made some trades the other day (I’m shocked!), including trading former Ray and 70 grade named Boog Powell back to Oakland for Yonder Alonso. Yonder this year has had his breakout year, but that breakout if you haven’t noticed has slowed way down. Eno Sarris wonders where Yonder’s fly balls went.
- At The Hardball Times, Alex Chamberlin takes a deep dive into the history of MLB Rookies of the Year.
- Grant Brisbee takes on a walk down memory lane for the 10 year anniversary of Barry Bonds hitting his 756th HR.
- Our own Jim Turvey over at Beyond the Box Score had a real fun read about Mike Trout and the stat WAR, and other all time greats tied to certain statistics.
- Speaking of that Trout fellow: Mike Trout had his 26th birthday yesterday. He hit a HR. Mike Trout is stupid good at baseball:
Mike Trout turns 26 today pic.twitter.com/0aiUh4nRVz— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) August 7, 2017