The biggest news, which is not, strictly, news at this point, is that the Rays are coming back to Tampa Bay after a home series in Queens. Chris Bumbaca and Oliver Macklin of MLB.com have an article on the return with quotes from the Rays clubhouse.
If you’re looking for minor-league, happiness, the Hudson Valley Renegades won the first game of their NY-Penn League championship series with a Brendan McKay walk-off sac fly in the 13th.
McKay brings in Walls! We lead 1-0 heading to Vermont! pic.twitter.com/z7qip8X0oG— HV Renegades (@HVRenegades) September 14, 2017
For those of you who were confused (or maybe it was just me?), the man on third is Taylor Walls, shortstop, a third-round draft pick out of Florida State. “Bringing in Walls” is not a metaphor for hitting a long home run.
- Everyone is saying that Chris Archer is healthy.
- Everyone is saying that Nathan Eovaldi is healthy.
- Speaking of rehab, as the Red Sox come to town, will David Price be pitching out of the bullpen?
- The Oakland Athletics have a ballpark site.
- Stacey Gotsulias wrote about a game between the Orioles and Blue Jays that happened on September 14, 1987. Why did I link it? Well, I think it’s well written, I like articles memorializing unexceptional things, and also I think that September 14 is a pretty cool day.
- Jeff Sullivan continues to beat the “The Flyball Revolution Is Real” drum.
- Dave Cameron speculates about how rich teams might try to lure Shohei Otani with the option of a long-term contract above what they can offer him by the book right now. Spoiler: Cameron thinks it’d take more than an Evan Longoria/Matt Moore type of deal.