- Tonight, the Triple-A Championship Game will see the Durham Bulls take on the St Louis Cardinals affiliate the Memphis Red Birds.
- Durham 2017 Pitcher of the Year, LHP Ryan Yarbrough will get the start for the Bulls. With it being Brent Honeywell’s normal starting day, we should expect to see Honeywell out of the pen.
- John Manuel at Baseball America has a nice preview of that Championship game.
- The Bulls seem to be having a good time getting prepared:
Yeah, the guys are loose. First round through the cage is from the opposite side of the plate. That's Finals MVP Jake Bauers. #BULLieve pic.twitter.com/OJfA0qMN9N— Durham Bulls (@DurhamBulls) September 18, 2017
- Former Rays manager, wine connoisseur, world traveler, and penguin enthusiast, Joe Maddon makes his return to the Trop today. The Tampa Bay Times has the story covered from all angles: the fans perspective, quotes from current members of the Rays, and of course from the man himself.
- MLB.com’s Rays beat reporter Bill Chastain has his mailbag of questions, including a fairly non-committal answer about whether Hechavarria has replaced Duffy for 2018 starting SS.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs has a pretty interesting read on how modern analysis might have saved lefty reliever Tony Cingrani’s career. Andrew Friedman, and the Dodgers Front Office identified something about Cingrani that looked good, and that bet has paid off handsomely so far. Sullivan notes the similarities to the Rays trading for Drew Smyly.