The must-read today is a long profile by Scott Miller at Bleacher Report on what former-Ray Carl Crawford is up to these days. This is actually his final year under contract for the Dodgers, so he’s about to finish up being paid over $20 million a year not to play baseball.
He talks about the breakdown of his body, his time in Tampa Bay, Boston, and Los Angeles, the impact Joe Maddon had on him, and his relationship to baseball now. It really is good. H/t to @RogerMooney50 for the link. Favorite quote:
"If Rocco [Baldelli] can coach first base, I know I can do that."
- In “soon-to-be-former-Rays news,” Steven Souza Jr. is chasing Alex Cobb out of town with sunflower seeds.
- And in “we’re going to cut payroll next year news,” Marc Topkin did a Q&A with Rays owner Stu Sternberg.
- And in, “I want the thing that’s for Kids 14 and under news,” there’s a Raymond night light givaway on Sunday.
- Giancarlo Stanton hit numbers 58 and 59.
- Travis Sawchik details an incredible play by defensive whiz Andrelton Simmons.
- David Laurila talked to Brent Suter about how he acts like a power pitcher with a sub-90 mph fastball.
- Mina Dunn on the history of walkup music.
- Mary Craig tells the story of Hiram Bithorn, the first Puerto Rican baseball player in the major leagues.