The Tampa Bay Rays today named their 2017 Minor League Award Winners.
OF Jesús Sánchez Minor League Player of the Year and RHP Yonny Chirinos Minor League Pitcher of the Year.
Baserunner of the Year honors went to INF Lucius Fox, while RHP Diego Castillo was named Reliever of the Year and C Nick Ciuffo was named Defensive Player of the Year. This was Ciuffo’s second consecutive year garnering that honor.
The Rays also announced the Most Valuable Players for each of their nine affiliates (below). Additionally, INF Miles Mastrobuoni (drafted in 2016) was named the Erik Walker Community Champion.
This year’s winners will be honored during an awards ceremony prior to tonight’s game against the Baltimore Orioles at Tropicana Field. A pregame autograph session will be held along the right field line from 5:45–6:30 p.m., featuring many of the organization’s award winners.
The following players were named Most Valuable Player for their respective minor league teams:
- INF Willy Adames (Durham Bulls, AAA)
- OF Justin Williams (Montgomery Biscuits, AA)
- INF Brandon Lowe (Charlotte Stone Crabs, A)
- OF Jesús Sánchez (Bowling Green Hot Rods, A)
- INF Vidal Bruján (Hudson Valley Renegades, Short-Season A)
- C Ronaldo Hernández (Princeton Rays, Rookie)
- INF Jonathan Aranda (Gulf Coast League Rays, Rookie)
- OF Yunior Martínez (Dominican Summer League Rays 1, Rookie)
- OF Aldenis Sánchez (Dominican Summer League Rays 2, Rookie)
Earlier today the Tampa Bay chapter of the BBWAA recognized the top players on the major league side as well:
Tampa Bay @officialBBWAA names Cobb Champion award winner, Faria outstanding rookie, Souza MVP— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) September 29, 2017