There are just over 40 days left until pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training and with the new year finally here, talks around the league are likely to accelerate as team’s prepare for the start of the new season.
Rays radio man Neil Solondz rung in the new year with a ‘This Week in Rays Baseball’ podcast in which he talked with the Rays General Manager, Erik Neander, about the stunning Evan Longoria trade and the slow off-season.
- During the second half of the season, Blake Snell made tremendous strides towards becoming an ace. Will he be able to keep that up in 2018?
- Buster Olney broke down the slow market and it’s impact on the middle tier for major league free agents
- This was pretty much known already, but the Boston Red Sox made a multi-year offer to free agent J.D. Martinez
- Bill Chastain answered questions from Rays fans, like who will replace Alex Cobb in the starting rotation, and who will be the new face of the team with Longoria in San Francisco
- The Miami Marlins fire sale continues as they’re receiving interest from other teams regarding a couple of their top remaining players
Marlins continue to speak with teams about potential deals (Yelich, Realmuto) but source says "nothing imminent" on any front right now.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) January 2, 2018
- Despite selling off the team’s best player for peanuts, Derek Jeter expects the Marlins to turn a larger profit in 2018 thanks to a boost in attendance
- and some Ex-Rays news
Source: Phillies agree to minor-league deal with ex-Rays reliever Steve Geltz. Made 108 appearances for TB from 2014-16.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) January 2, 2018