The Tampa Bay Rays have completed their purchase of the second-tier Tampa Bay Rowdies soccer team, which plays at Al Lang Stadium in downtown St. Petersburg.
With the 2018 United Soccer League season in the books, a new chapter begins for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, as the sale to the Tampa Bay Rays has been completed. With the acquisition, team presidents Matt Silverman and Brian Auld have been given titles of Vice-Chairman at the soccer club, per a team press release:
“Today marks a new era in Tampa Bay Rowdies history,” said Vice-Chairman Matt Silverman. “We are excited to embark on this journey with Rowdies fans from across Tampa Bay, and we look forward to building enduring relationships with Season Ticket Holders, Corporate Partners, and all supporters of Rowdies soccer.”
In addition to completing the purchase, the Rays have announced a monthly Saturday Morning Market to be organized for the community at Al Lang:
As the transition begins in earnest, exciting changes are planned for the Rowdies roster, front office and fan experience. Beginning on November 3, and continuing during the first Saturday Morning Market of each month, the Rowdies will open Al Lang Stadium to the public for family-friendly activities and live soccer games streamed from around the world on the video board and concourse televisions. More information regarding specific programming will be made available as the date nears.
“The expansion of the Saturday Morning Market into Al Lang will be an added benefit to an already energized downtown St. Petersburg,” said Vice-Chairman Brian Auld. “It allows fans and citizens access to family-friendly activities during the most beautiful time of the year.”
- Rays legend and coach Rocco Baldelli, the team’s Major League Field Coordinator, has reportedly been selected as the Minnesota Twins manager for 2019. He was in competition with former long time Rays hitting coach Derek Shelton, who served in a similar “coordinator” position in Toronto prior to being named the Twins bench coach for 2018.
- Rob Manfred believes the Rays will figure out their new stadium prior to the Dec. 31 deadline.
- Rays Radio is looking for an intern for 2019.
- Look who’s on the cover of Baseball America!
- You can join the Rays in the Miles for Moffitt walk on Dec. 8, 2018
- David Price led the Red Sox to a victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 2 of the World Series, the best match up money can buy...
David Price is the 4th pitcher in @RedSox history to go at least 6 innings and allow 3 or fewer hits in consecutive postseason appearances, joining Derek Lowe (2004), Pedro Martínez (1999) and Jim Lonborg (1967). pic.twitter.com/r6EHe1UVh5— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 25, 2018
- Price brough his son Xavier to the press conference following the game
- Marc Topkin gathered key quotes of praise from teammates for the former Rays Cy Young winner.
- Russell Carlton had an excellent article on The Opener, and the ever evolving role of pitcher. (no paywall)
- Also at Baseball Prospectus, a look at whether Price was commanding his newly renovated change up in his World Series start ($)