- ESPN introduced their “way-too-early” 2019 power rankings, and the Rays are (rightfully) in the top 10. It’s nice to get some national attention.
- Marc Topkin breaks down all the ways Tampa Bay contributed to a World Series for the Red Sox.
- Anthony Banda is on the road to recovery from TJS, and posted a video clip showing him throwing some catch. It’s a long, slow journey back from Tommy John, but each of these little steps is encouraging on the road back to the show.
Around the League
- The Toronto Blue Jays introduced former Rays bench coach and long time Durham Bulls manager Charlie Montoyo as their new manager.
- The Mets officially introduced their new GM, the former super agent, and judging from the name, the lead bully of a ski club in an 80s movie, Brodie Van Wagenen. Daniel R. Epstein at Beyond the Box Score speculates as to the reasons why the Mets made such a bold and bizzare choice.
- The Oakland A’s have extended VP Billy Beane, GM David Forst, and manager Bob Melvin to multi-year deals.
- SNY claim that their sources tell them the Yankees are not expected to pursue one of the biggest offseason prizes: Bryce Harper.
- The Rocket City Trash Pandas, the Double-A affiliate of the Angels that will make their debut in 2020, unveiled their new logos. Minor league baseball has the best names and logos, and the Trash Pandas are immediately going to be upper echelon in that specific elite company.
- On Sunday, the final game of the World Series was just one of five sporting events Los Angeles was hosting. These two dudes went to all five.
- Baseball might be over, but now we are into the offseason with baseball award season about to kick off.