- In Tommy Pham’s endless quest to rid this Earth of baseballs, he will be taking his fierce and frightening bat to the Dominican Winter League. Tommy Pham posted a picture of him getting ready to put in more work with a club that holds a fond place in his heart.
- Over at Fan Graphs, in David Laurila’s always excellent Sunday Notes, he has some fantastic quotes from fast rising pitching prospect Brock Burke.
- Also at Fan Graphs, Craig Edwards does some estimates with nifty graphs for payroll room now that we are officially underway in FA. The Rays placements in these graphs are quite fun to think about.
- The Rays had some good representation at the AFL Fall Stars game, thanks to some good pitching in tight spots from Matt Krook and Dalton Moats, and some golden glove work from SS Lucius Fox.
- Later today the finalists for some major MLB awards will be announced. The Rays have some very strong candidates for the finalists list of Manager of the Year, Cy Young, and of course the Joey Wendle of the Year award (more widely known as the AL Rookie of the Year).
Around the League
- The Rawlings Gold Glove Awards were announced. For the 1st time in 3 seasons the Rays will not have a Gold Glove winner. However, former Tampa Bay DH Corey Dickerson won the Gold Glove for the NL LF position.
- In case you missed it, the Steamer projections for 2019 are out!
- The Houston Astros have some key Free Agents, but getting less headlines than Keuchel or Morton are two of the biggest and brightest names behind the scenes in the Astros Front Office who are now on the market: Sig Mejdal and Mike Fast.
- If you aren’t listening to It Seemed Smart, a new and truly fantastic podcast from Spencer Hall of SB Nation then you are missing out. Two episodes are out right now, and the first one involves a fun and fundamentally bizarre baseball story involving Albert Belle, a corked bat, and relief pitchers trying to pull off a heist.