- Last night, the BBWAA showed the finalists for their annual awards given out. Blake Snell is in the final three for the AL Cy Young award, while Kevin Cash is a candidate for the Manager of the Year. Joey Wendle just missed the cut in the Rookie of the Year chase.
Blake Snell spoke out in support of Wendle,
“If Joey played for the Yankees, do you think Joey would have been on there? Joey would have been on ESPN every day,’’ Snell said. “The man is special. For him not to be on there, I’m sad.’’
- The annual GM Meetings commence today. The meetings generally serve as a precursor to the Winter Meetings, held in early December, laying the groundwork for potential deals.
- FanGraphs update their Rays top 10 prospects, Wander Franco is of course, number one
- Jim Bowden put out his annual contract predictions for the top 35 free agents, on The Athletic
- Also, at The Athetlic, Owen Poindexter, looks at the best matchups for free agent pitchers. JA Happ and the Rays seem like a perfect fit to him
So, put that all together and we’re left with a pitcher who is quite effective the first two times through the order with a weakness on balls in the air. We’re looking for a team with a homer-suppressing park, good outfield defense and ideally some pitching depth to keep Happ to 18 batters.
We’re looking for the Rays.
- Some more Athletic love, Kaitlyn McGrath Kaitlyn McGrath wrote an extensive bio on new Blue Jays manager, Charlie Montoyo, with quotes from several people throughout the Rays organization
- Josh Donaldson will be a coveted free agent this year, with his asking price likely a fraction of what it would have been a few years ago