Another quiet day for the Tampa Bay Rays as the offseason drags on. They did however, make a move according to a tweet from Brandon Warne, the team has signed LHP Jairo Labourt to a minor league deal.
Lefty Jairo Labourt signed a minor league deal with the Rays— Brandon Warne (@Brandon_Warne) December 20, 2018
Labourt, 24, was a former prospect with the Toronto Blue Jays, and was part of the return to the Detroit Tigers in the David Price trade in 2015. Labourt also pitched in the Futures’ Game in 2017 and made his major league debut that September. Labourt seems to have been injured for most of the 2018 season as he only logged 5 2⁄3 innings pitched in the rookie league within the White Sox organization.
- Austin Reimann (Rays Colored Glasses) - Getting to know Cole Sluser
- Tom Layberger (Forbes) - Tampa Bay Rays build on 2018 success by spending for 2019
- Marc Topkin (Tampa Bay Times) - Rays Guillermo Heredia praises new agreement to ease path for Cuban players to the majors
- Sheryl Ring (FanGraphs) - There’s a downside to The Opener
- Kiley McDaniel (FanGraphs) - Weekly chat
Kiley McDaniel: I think the Bauers/Yandy deal showed that the Rays prefer positional flexilibity if the bats are comparable and Lowe looks like a 100-120 wRC+ type that can play corners and 2B. I would prefer him and I think TB does, too.
Trent: What’s Nate Lowe’s upside? .270 30hr guy?
Kiley McDaniel: We think a little less than that, but there’s some suspicion that he’s the reason TB felt comfortable moving Bauers
Dave: Suppose the Astros offer Tucker for Realmuto straight-up, but refuse to include anyone else. Is it time for Miami to accept that sort of offer?
Kiley McDaniel: If I’m Miami I would seriously consider it since the good options have already/continue to move on. LA and TB make sense and have plenty of combos they could offer. TB with Zunino and Michael Perez doesn’t make perfect sense, but they seem to be fishing in deep water on Thor, CLE SP, JTR, etc.
Twin city: If Austin Meadows had rookie status where would he rank and what numbers would you hang on him- thank you
Kiley McDaniel: Probably still around the middle of a top 100
Snacks: So Nate Lowe at 1B means what for Joe McCarthy?
Kiley McDaniel: I think those are the two 1B options at the league minimum, McCarthy plays some LF, you have the DH spot and can chase off Choi
- Some fun memories
Around the League
- Al Yellon (Bleed Cubbie Blue) - The Cubs need to cut ties with Addison Russell
- Jaymes L (Brew Crew Ball) - Brewers send multiple people to Troy Tulowitzky’s workout
- John Trupin (Lookout Landing) - Mariners make new stadium partnership official: Welcome to T-Mobile Park
- Caitlin Rogers (Pinstripe Alley) - Yankees host top free agent Manny Machado
- Tony Wolfe (Red Reporter) - Reds remained involved on trade talks regarding Corey Kluber