With Spring Training barreling down on us like a runaway train, finally time to start getting into gear with Spring Training invites, and new numbers for the newest Rays.
First off some invite news:
Also invited to #Rays big-league camp from within organization are LHP Kyle Bird, RHP Edwin Fierro, C Brett Sullivan, INF Jake Cronenworth, INF Grant Kay— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) February 5, 2018
And the new numbers (since I know you are chomping at the bit to update your shirtsy collection):
What immediately jumps out to me is how real those numbers are. No 76s or 84s. These are the numbers that major league baseball players wear. Is this reading too much into just a number? Should I not extrapolate that the Rays see real potential in what Joey Wendle and Micah Johnson can do? It’s been a long offseason, just give me this!
- There’s a new podcast out from Neil Solondz, and he has an excellent interview with Rays VP Chaim Bloom. It’s 15 min of required listening:
Duffy, Arroyo, & De Leon are "three key guys for us." #Rays VP Chaim Bloom joined @neilsolondz on our latest edition of This Week in @RaysBaseball. https://t.co/ngjD22kPNs…https://t.co/9ojDObRqb5https://t.co/kSBaWtoRms— RaysRadio (@RaysRadio) February 6, 2018
- Rays also added a veteran LHP Dan Runzler to their spring roster.
- Fangraphs also released their 2018 top 100 prospect list. Rays have 5 on the list (topping out at a high of #11 and #15), with INF Christian Arroyo and Wander Franco both making the consideration list.
- I am all about these stylized training videos (this one following Chris Archer).
- Speaking of Archer, the Rays Twitter saw a perfect job opening for Archer: Astros Mascot Wrangler.
- Of course, Archer isn’t going to miss an opportunity to @ his arch nemesis Orbit:
- The New York Metropolitans signed 3B Todd Frazier to a 2 year $17 mil deal. That means the Mets starting infield is now probably: 3B Frazier - SS Ahmed Rosario - 2B Asdrubal Cabrera - 1B Adrian Gonzalez.
- Remember Phil Coke? He’s back, in Knuckleball form.