The Rays beat the Minnesota Twins, on the back of a good pitching performance by Ryan Yarborough and Yonny Chirinos, two guys who succeeded in Triple-A Durham last year, and who, despite being mostly under the radar and in the shaddow of top prospect Brent Honeywell, could have a significant role to play with the Rays this season. Rays Radio brought us the postgame audio.
Here’s the postgame interview with Yarbrough:
And here’s manager Kevin Cash talking about the game, and their place on the team:
Oh, they are in the mix [for relief jobs], no doubt.
Also in the Rays Radio story, Christian Arroyo talked about playing shortstop.
- Jason Hanselman wrote about the Corey Dickerson/CJ Cron transaction. Good analysis there, worth your time.
- I’m less sure about whether the story in this one is the right one, or just a bit of transactional noise, but Travis Sawchik noticed that the Rays have gotten rid of their hitters that struggled against the high fastball. Something to keep in mind and check back in on for this season and the coming ones.
- From Chastain’s notes, a few infielders are injured (but not badly), Carlos Gomez will be here soon, and Wily Adames is in the Best Shape of His Life.
- From Topkin’s notes, Logan Morrison talked about new/old teammate Jake Odorizzi: “That’s my guy, that’s the AWR — average white righty — but he gets outs. And he’s got a great dad bod.”
- Chastain also wrote about how young guys are adjusting to being the new faces in the clubhouse. Good quotes from Daniel Robertson on being a part of the Ben Zobrist trade.
- MiLB.com called the Rays system the deepest in baseball.
- Quiz: Do you know your bat flips? The quiz, sadly, does not include Tim Beckham, but there’s something in there for Rays fans.
- The Rays Radio player spotlight was on Jake Cronenworth, who once thought he might make the league as a closer, but is now an infielder. Who still has his pitching glove in his car, if, you know, the Rays need a two-way player.
- Short twitter spotlight on outfield prospect Justin Williams.
- The Rays top prospect had surgery.
The Rays will face Baltimore today.