Opening Day is just over two weeks away, so the Rays roster for the regular season will be taking shape over the next several days.
Most of the position battles have been settled, but there are still several spots in a state of flux with the bullpen and the Rays bench remaining unsettled.
There are a couple of players vying for that final spot on the Rays roster with right-handed outfielders, Jason Coats and Brandon Synder being mentioned by Kevin Cash. However, Cash also mentioned Micah Johnson, who is a second baseman that he received reps in the outfield this spring and has impressed thus far while Coats and Snyder have been lackluster.
Snyder brings plenty of versatility to the table as well, as he can play in the outfield, corner infield spots, and can even spend time behind the plate in a pinch.
- Yesterday, Chris Archer pitched into the 5th inning for the first time this spring and again focused on working on his change-up. Allowed a run on one hit, while he walked three and struck out five.
He was most pleased with the ongoing improvement of his changeup, giving him a third weapon to work with.
”It was actually better than my slider (today) I think,” he said. “That’s very encouraging.”
Chris Archer is Pumped Up about his 89 mph Changeup. pic.twitter.com/lJiZktY2ho— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) March 13, 2018
- Denard Span and Daniel Robertson both hit their respective first home runs of the spring, accounting for all of the Rays scoring. The Phillies would walk off in the bottom of the ninth with Austin Pruitt allowing a three run HR to Jesmusel Valetin
- The photo gallery from yesterday’s action
- The Rays progressing Brad Miller slowly as he was injured most of last season and is currently nursing a fractured toe
- The story of Brandon Snyder and how he returned to affiliated baseball after nearly walking away from the game and how playing in the Indy Leagues restored his love for the game
- Today, the Rays will taken on the Pirates in Bradenton at 1:05, with the game being covered by the Pirates broadcast team. It can be viewed via MLB.tv. Here the pitchers slated to go for Tampa
RH Yonny Chirinos, LH Vidal Nuno, RH Alex Colome, RH Ryne Stanek, RH Cody Hall, RH Colton Murray, LH Adam Kolarek, LH Kyle Bird
- Chaz Roe’s slider is ridiculous
- Jose De Leon underwent his Tommy John surgery yesterday
My comeback started today! Just another obstacle on the way but the mission remains the same. Thank God, Dr. Andrews & every single one of you for the love and support. It’s refreshing to see how many people I have in my corner. THANK YOU THANK YOU! Let’s do this! #OnAMission2019 pic.twitter.com/LpwArc5Dut— Jose De León (@JDL_87) March 13, 2018
- The Montgomery Biscuits have a new blog, dubbed ‘The Biscuits Blog.’ Their first story looks at former Biscuits to have made it into the majors
Around the League
- Each team around the league is sending an item from their food menu to a festival in New York
I love this idea. MLB is hosting a Smorgasburg-style food festival at New York’s Bryant Park on April 21 and 22. Here’s what will be available. pic.twitter.com/edB2rmTOHX— Jared Diamond (@jareddiamond) March 13, 2018
- The New York Yankees optioned top prospect, Gleybor Torres, to minor league camp
- The New York Mets reassigned non-top prospect, Tim Tebow, to minor league camp