The start of real baseball is so close I can almost taste it! As players get their last bits of tune up in before the season begins, the Rays still have some questions to be answered.
One of those questions is the want for a right-handed OF. Johnny Field, a long time Rays prospect and 80 grade baseball name, is fighting to be that answer.
Nathan Eovaldi is still throwing big heat this Spring. Yesterday was no different, touching 97-98 MPH regularly in his 6 IP.
Also, Brad Miller continues to rake when he’s on the field this Spring, this time driving an opposite field HR (going lefty-lefty to boot):
I know Miller is persona non grata to many, many Rays fans, but I firmly believe he will be a guy to make a whole lot of folks eat some crow by season end (if he stays healthy).
- MLB Network made their visit to the Rays camp, and our friends at Rays Tank has compiled all the coverage.
- Kevin Cash postgame notes:
- Marc Topkin’s notes post game, including a fun quote from Daniel Robertson who had to use a replacement nameless jersey in the game.
- Also from Topkin, some profiles of the big new faces debuting for the Rays this year.
- The Rays have a sell out for opening day.
- The Rays made the Johnny Venters reassignment and Dan Jennings release official.
- The Lightning took the Ice with some very fresh looking baby blue Rays sweaters:
- Mallex Smith was in attendance, soaking up that electric hockey atmosphere.
- There is also these very nice Rays/Bolts hats available at the game. I very much approve of this team-up.
- The Rays starting rotation come in 11th in Fangraphs position power rankings.
- Yankees 1B Greg Bird continues to have just horrid injury luck. Reports from the Yanks are Bird will miss 6-8 weeks with bone spurs.
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs explains how the Giants really can’t afford the Bumgarner injury.
- Also at Fangraphs, Sheryl Ring has a fascinating read on the Phillies Scott Kingery team extension.