In the bottom of the 1st inning of the 1st game after the Rays found out that the team will be without Kevin Kiermaier for 2-3 months, Matt Duffy left the game with some form of injury to his lower body. It was hard not to feel a sense of just impending dread of somehow finding a new rock bottom.
- The other good news from yesterday was just a tremendous game from pretty much everybody, including the first man up to try and replace KK: Mallex Smith.
- Also enjoy this highlight reel from Daniel Robertson both at the plate and with the glove.
- RHP Chih-Wei Hu finished the game that Blake Snell so expertly started. It was a mixed bag, but he showed some nice stuff. However, his trip was short lived and the Durham Shuttle is finally fired up!
We've optioned RH Chih-Wei Hu and recalled RH Hunter Wood from Triple-A @DurhamBulls.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) April 17, 2018
- 2B/LF prospect Nick Solak made the MLB Pipeline Team of the Week.
- Ray Tank: Denard Span is an awesome dude and hit a HR on Jackie Robinson Day for a kid.
- Fangraphs: Hopeless Forecasts and the Stereotype Threat
Around the League:
- You have to see this: Bryce Harper broke his bat into pieces and a HR was the last resort. And another angle. And in picture form. And statcast.
- Speaking of broken bat homers, Cut4 breaks down quite limited broken bat homer club.
- SB Nation has a new series we’d rather call DHazeBay — Part 1: A look at how athletes are beating drug tests | Part 2: How athletes are pushing cannabis into the mainstream | Part 3: A look into which weed is right for athletes
- Fangraphs: You Should Know What Matt Chapman’s Been Doing
- Hardball Times: The Past, Present and Future of Baseball in Puerto Rico