We asked for you input in renaming what had previously been The Rays Tank, and your votes are in.
Feeding Frenzy 10%
Rays and Shine 22%
The Daily Flap 14%
View from the Catwalk 41%
Fever Pitch 13%
Two hundred forty-nine of you voted, and we appreciate your participation. View from the Catwalk will be the new name for this feature.
The streak is finally over, but it took until the final out for the Red Sox to finally put the nail in the coffin as the Rays threatened against the best closer in baseball. With runners on second and third with one out in a one run game, Craig Kimbrel was able to strikeout Jesus Sucre and Carlos Gomez back-to-back to close out the game and end the Rays 8 game winning streak.
Denard Span, Mallex Smith Joey Wendle, and Daniel Robertson all remained hot as Wendle, Smith, and Robertson had multi-hit days and Span clobbered another home run (this one actually left the playing field). Matt Andriese pitched into the 4th inning during his spot start, but the bullpen couldn’t hold the 3-0 lead as Andrew Kittredge struggled. Jonny Venters retired all three batters he faced, and Sergio Romo also provided two scoreless innings of relief. It was Alex Colome who surrendered the go-ahead run in the 8th inning that led to the Rays defeat.
Tonight, the Rays will take record of 12-14 to the Motor City as they’ll begin a three game set with the Detroit Tigers as Jake Faria will take the mound against Jordan Zimmerman,
- Wilson Ramos left Saturday’s game due to a sore groin, he is day-to-day
- Shadow of the Stadium announced the blog will be shutting down
- Prior to Sunday’s game, the Rays recalled Chih-Wei Hu from Durham and optioned Ryan Yarbrough, a move that was more about giving the Rays a fresh arm rather than based on performance
- So, Daniel Robertson may be among the nicest players in baseball after taking the time to carefully tie Eduardo Nunez’s shoes, pausing the on field action in the process
“He looked helpless,” Robertson said. “He was like, “Can you help me?’ I was like, “What? Are you serious? This is a joke, right?” He was like, “Can you please help me?” … He was so sincere, sounded so sad, I was like, “All right, whatever.’
”So I just went over, bent down and tied his shoe.”
- Despite surrendering the go-ahead run during another rough outing, Alex Colome says he still has the same confidence
Around the League
- Jose Altuve’s story is incredible, as a 16 year old just seeking a chance, it was current Athletics first base coach, Al Pedrique, (then, a scout for the Astros), gave it to him. The two shared a reunion this past weekend.
- Evan Longoria had quietly had a fantastic month of April for the Giants and helped them to a series victory
- Speaking of the Giants, they had Pablo Sandoval take the mound on Saturday and he was actually very, very good
- The Atlanta Braves released Peter Bourjos
- The Rays opponent tonight, the Tigers had some injury problems yesterday as both Miguel Cabrera and Daniel Norris left their due to injuries