- The Rays will now face the recently-traded Alex Colome and Denad Span in Seattle. Quotes in there from Span, Chris Archer, and Kevin Cash. Archer talked about what it will be like to face his old teammates, and if you squint, you can turn his quote into a shot at the Rays bullpen management. I don’t really think that’s what’s going on here, though.
- In his recap, Marc Topkin quotes Ryne Stanek and Ryan Yarbrough on their experience with the opener role.
- The Rays traded Curt Casali to the Reds, in exchange for cash considerations. Casali will get another crack at the majors there.
- Eno Sarris ranked the league’s best changeups. By results, Chris Archer’s was one of the best (throw it more!). By movement, Jacob Faria’s was one of the best (but not by results, because of command issues, probably).
- Former-Ray Edwin Jackson opted out of his minor league deal with the Nationals and will become a free agent. In other news, former Ray Edwin Jackson is still in the game! I legit want the Rays to go get him, just for old times’ sake.
- Jake Kaplan on how the Astros have meaningfully changed the way they scout.
- Clayton Kershaw will get an MRI on his back.
- The Baseball Prospectus prospect team roundtables on short players and power.
- Eli Ben-Porat produced a number of data visualizations of the FanGraphs scouting board. Highly recommend.
- Travis Sawchik with a good breakdown of how Matt Davidson altered his approach at the plate.