The Tampa Bay Rays are not a bad team, however, they are just shy of being a good team. Usually one run shy.
They have now lost a major league leading 17 games by one run.
Yesterday afternoon, they lost to the Seattle Mariners, 5-4, after losing a 3-1 lead earlier in the game, the Rays clawed their way to make it a 5-4 game in the ninth and put the tying run on base. Unfortunately, an overly aggressive call from Matt Quatraro resulted in Johnny Field easily being thrown out at home to end the game, giving the Mariners the victory.
With the loss, the Rays have now dropped 9 of their last 10 contests and have fallen to 29-35 and are in 4th place in the AL East.
Tonight, they’ll welcome the Toronto Blue Jays into town with Ryan Yarbrough tabbed with the start.
- Kevin Kiermaier and Adeiny Hechavarria are progressing back from their respective injuries. Kiermaier will begin his assignment on Tuesday, while Hechavarria will head to down to Port Charlotte tonight.
- Daniel Robertson left yesterday’s game in the first inning with a hamstring issue, believed to be minor.
- A Pinch, Hit, and Run event was held at Tropicana Field over the weekend
- The Rays found a suitor for recently DFA’d Brad Miller, as they traded him to the Milwaukee Brewers for 1B Ji-Man Choi
- Jake Bauers and Carlos Gomez had an unfortunate collision during Saturday’s game, both players were fine afterwards
Around the League
- Minor League Ball looks back the Andrew Miller trade for the New York Yankees
- The BrewCrewBall write up of the Brad Miller acquisition
- The New York Mets have released veteran first baseman, Adrian Gonzalez
- Per a report from Pedro Gomez, Shohei Ohtani will undergo Tommy John surgery. He will return during the 2020 season.