Rays fans have been without the extraordinary Kevin kiermaier for 2018. Sure, there was a dude in KK’s jersey, and there were some ranging catches that dropped your jaw, and he had those same mesmerizing eyes. But it just wasn’t the same Kiermaier we have come to love in the Tampa Bay area after the slow start and then unfortunate thumb injury.
However, the time has come and the long awaited return for The Outlaw is here!
We have designated OF Rob Refsnyder for assignment. CF Kevin Kiermaier will be reinstated prior to tomorrow’s game.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) June 19, 2018
- Speaking of injured Rays, Marc Topkin reports that Daniel Robertson will DH for the Charlotte Stone Crabs today with a target return to the Rays Friday, while Chris Archer still remains several weeks away.
- Ryne Stanek has been nothing short of excellent in the role of “opener” for the Rays. Rays Communications shared a neat stat after another 1 2⁄3 hitless and scoreless innings from an “opener”:
Rays starting pitchers have registered 7 starts this season without allowing a hit, extending a major league record. The previous record was shared by the 2017 Marlins and 1916 Red Sox (5 each).— Rays Communications (@RaysPR) June 19, 2018
- Here’s a story of how Lou Piniella was almost the first Rays manager to use an “opener”.
Around the League:
- The Royals and Nats made a trade, with KC sending closer Kelvin Herrera to DC.
- Mike Trout is having an incredible year and Chris Davis is having an incredibly awful year. Together they can make some history.
- Sam Miller is incredibly enjoyable and is at his best when he’s pondering the absurd of baseball. That’s exactly how I’d describe his latest on how valuable each player’s best night would be (if it happened every day).