- Former DRaysBay manager and general good guy Tommy Rancel seems to be writing for The Athletic now, and his first article asserts that the rise of Mallex Smith puts a Kevin Kiermaier trade on the table.
- Marc Topkin was busy on the off day, talking to former Rays pitching coach Jim Hickey about Hickey’s exit from the Rays, what the Rays are doing now, Kevin Cash, Kyle Snyder, the opener, Chris Archer, and Blake Snell. Spoiler: Hickey has nothing bad to say about anyone. But still a good read.
- Topkin also sat down with former Rays manager Joe Maddon, discussing many of the same topics.
- Scott broke down the Rays headed to the Arizona Fall League.
- Matt Sussman’s Short Relief was about Ruben Alaniz of the Durham Bulls.
- In case you forgot:
Hey y’all,@JoeyWendle leads all AL rookies in fWAR.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) August 30, 2018
That is all. Thanks. pic.twitter.com/E2hPdu7zJA
- Andrew McCutchen cleared waivers, and the Yankees traded for him.
- David Laurila talked to three pitchers about how they developed their sliders.
- In non-Rays AFL reading, Eric Longenhagen gave his thoughts on what he’ll be watching for from this year’s crop of prospects.
- How to be a replacement level player and not get replaced.
- Rob Mains noticed ($$) that there are more players below the Mendoza line than ever before.
- Interesting Baseball America article about scouting showcases.