This past weekend was awful and it encapsulated the Rays first half struggled perfectly as they failed to hold a lead, get that timely hit, and lost by a run in each of the three contest. Daniel Robertson was injured and will likely miss the rest of the year as well.
However, there was a bright spot.
The 2008 team reunion, which admittedly was missing a few notable faces for various reasons, but it was amazing.
Akinori Iwamura, Jason Bartlett, Rocco Baldelli, James Shields, Scott Kazmir, and B.J. Upton were all back at the Trop, as well a contingent of other players and coaches from that 2008 squad. Iwamura would throw out the ceremonial first pitch to Jason Bartlett.
Joe Smith of The Athletic wrote an oral history of that 2008 season, with input offered from many of the players on every thing that happened that season. From the fight with New York in the spring, to James Shields missed haymaker to Coco Crisp, as well as a very reckless celebration by Jonny Gomes.
This story is amazing.
- Carlos Gomez went viral once again this past weekend. After being hit by a pitch, Gomez took a step, then toppled over to the ground. This was a preplanned move by the veteran outfielder, who did it because “We were playing around the other day. I said as a joke to Cash and the training staff, ‘I’m the only one to get hit that you never come out to check on me. So I said, ‘Hey next time I’m going to look like I’m going to die.’”
- Tyler Glasnow and the trouble with tall baseball players - Glasnow will start tonight’s series opener against the Baltimore Orioles
- Willy Adames and Jake Bauers represent the future of the Tampa Bay Rays, and they’re the best of friends. Now, all they need is a good nick name
- Scott published our mid-season prospect update
- The Rays found a taker for Adeiny Hechavarria, as they sent him to the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league pitcher, Matt Seelinger