Last night, the Tampa Bay Rays took home another series victory as they defeated the Texas Rangers with another shutout performance from their pitching staff.
Blake Snell tied a Rays record, recording his 20th victory of the season, tossing five scoreless innings to bring his season ERA to 1.97. He is now considered a front runner for the American League Cy Young award. The bullpen consisting of Chaz Roe, Jalen Beeks, and Ryne Stanek pitched the final four innings of the game for Tampa Bay, and held the Rangers in check.
The offense meanwhile, racked up 15 hits but only managed to bring four runs across. Joey Wendle had a four hit night, including two doubles. Jesus Sucre had three hits, while Matt Duffy and Tommy Pham also both had multi-hit nights. Willy Adames launched a two run home run as well for Tampa Bay, his 10th of the season.
Rays are now 8-0-1 in their last 9 series, and 11-1-1 in their last 13 series.— Dave Haller (@HallerDave) September 19, 2018
Also 22-5 since Aug. 19, best in MLB.
The Rays are now 84-66 on the year, having won four straight. They have gained considerable ground on the Oakland Athletics for the second Wild Card and now just trail them by 5.5 games, with only 12 games left to be played...
- Diego Castillo goes to the mound this afternoon for the Rays as they attempt a sweep of the Rangers. He’ll be opposed by Yohander Mendez
- A rough season statistically, a tremendous season in every other aspect of the game as Carlos Gomez has been a leader in the Rays clubhouse
- Although the Rays have had several breakout performers this season, MLB.com chose Blake Snell as their breakout player of the year
- The Durham Bulls lost in the Triple-A Championship game last night. We’ll see if the Rays decide to call up any players for the final two weeks of the season
- Darnit Marc
Around the League
- The Boston Red Sox could have helped the Rays out last night, but the Yankees pulled through with a late home run to take the victory
- The Texas Rangers have a new Triple-A affiliate, in Nashville
- Evan Longoria has been on a tear for the San Francisco Giants as of late
- Former Rays alert, Dylan Floro. The former Rays farmhand has been excellent this year with the Dodgers and Reds