Last night, the Tampa Bay Rays seemingly had a victory well in hand, until a disastrous ninth inning torpedoed what remained of the team’s playoff aspirations.
Tommy Pham and Joey Wendle continued their hot hitting. Pham had a three hit night, including a triple. While Wendle had another multi-hit game, with another double. The offense as a whole racked up 8 runs on 11 hits over the course of the night and the team entered the bottom of the 9th with a 8-2 lead.
The pitching staff was excellent for the most part, prior to the ninth. Unfortunately, Jaime Schultz struggled mightily and only managed to record one via a strikeout, surrendering four runs. Sergio Romo came in and promptly allowed two home runs of his own as the Blue Jay stunned the Rays with a 7-run ninth to walk off.
Carlos Gomez was livid.
Gomez struck out with the bases loaded in the 7th inning on a borderline pitch, but there were several more calls later on in the game and Gomez took to twitter to vent his frustration, stating that “That umpire had more than 30 pitches missed.”
heck of a job out there tonight Andy Fletcher! pic.twitter.com/86mA74ZdPT— Carlos Gomez (@RealCarlosGomez) September 21, 2018
You guys watch the videos and you be the judge.— Carlos Gomez (@RealCarlosGomez) September 21, 2018
Gomez will certainly face repercussions for his actions, as MLB has a little to no tolerance for players publicly calling out umpiring crews. His infractions last night may be the worst we have seen in the twitter era, so the punishment may be stiff against the Rays outspoken veteran outfielder.
- Blake Snell traded a baseball to a fan for chicken tenders
- Speaking of Snell, the Cy Young candidate could join some elite company if he keeps his numbers down through the rest of the season
- John Cassillo published a FanPost yesterday, saying the Rays could be the best team to not make the playoffs since the 2005 Cleveland Indians failed to do so
- The Rays will hope to rebound from last night’s devastating loss with Diego Castillo opening against Sean Reid-Foley
Around the League
- The Athletics rocked the Angels with a 21 run onslaught, they’re good.
- The Boston Red Sox have secured the division, they are the American League East champions for 2018, premature banners aside.
- Bleed Cubbie Blue did a Ben Zobrist appreciation post, which is always nice and correct.
- The Good Phight ponders what to do with former Rays All-Star Wilson Ramos
- Another player is having his own set of issues with umpires lately, as Bryce Harper was ejected last night