The Tampa Bay Rays have captured another series win on the road after last night’s victory over the Toronto Blue Jays.
Everything went well for Tampa Bay, with timely hitting and solid pitching. Seven Rays pitchers combined to shutout Toronto, holding them to just three hits on the night. Ryne Stanek started with a scoreless first. He was followed by Hunter Wood, who delivered two shutout innings of his own.
Jalen Beeks had the longest outing of any Rays pitcher, working 2 2⁄3 innings, holding the Blue Jays in check. Jose Alvarado recorded an out, Diego Castillo followed and worked two more scoreless innings. Adam Kolarek and Sergio Romo worked a scoreless 9th inning to close out the game.
On the offensive side of things, Tommy Pham had another multi-hit game, extending his hitting streak to 10 games. He had a single and triple during the effort, but would leave the game early due to a groin issue.
Wild Card Update
The Yankees defeated the Athletics last night, and the Mariners were done in by the Orioles, allowing the Rays to gain a game on both clubs.
As they stand now
- Athletics - 83-57
- Mariners - 77-62 - 5.5 GB
- Rays - 75-63 - 7 GB
- There was a lot of Wander Franco love being given out yesterday
- MLB.com looked a prospect who broke in each team’s system, pointing out Wander Franco for the Rays
- John Calvagno is very high on the Rays budding superstar prospect, ranking him as one of the best prospects he has seen this year
- Jesse Sanchez wrote that the Rays could be grooming the game’s next teenage phenom with Franco
“We’ll see how his career goes, but here’s a young guy that’s very mature at 17, and he has a smile on his face and plays every game like every game is the final game of the World Series,” said Mitch Lukevics, the Rays’ director of Minor League operations. “I call him ‘Wonderful Wander Franco’ for more reasons than him being the league MVP. It’s about who he is and how he goes about his business, and the wonderful person that Wander Franco is.”
- Mallex Smith is the Rays nominee for the Roberto Clemente award, go vote for him!
- Nick Ciuffo, the Rays 2013 1st round selection, finally reached the majors. He struggled with poor performance and a suspension, but ultimately made his way to the show.
- Juan Toribio spoke with Sergio Romo and discusses the changes that he made to make an effective reliever once again
Around the League
- The New York Yankees recently acquired former Rays shortstop, Adeiny Hechavarria. Pinstripe Alley looks at what he brings to the table
- The Seattle Mariners had an incident prior to their game last night, as Dee Gordon and Jean Segura were involved in a clubhouse altercation
- Todd Frazier made what seemed like a very nice catch, going into the stands on Monday night. However, he actually tricked the umpire, as he held up the wrong ball, but was still rewarded with the out.