MLB Network has been ranking the top ten players at each position and this past Saturday, they broke down second base.
On the list, Joey Wendle was placed seventh among major league second baseman, ranking just ahead of Gleyber Torres of the New York Yankees.
Wendle came to the Rays last offseason in a trade with the Oakland Athletics. He had an excellent spring training and eventually became the Rays starting second baseman. He started the year at a torrid pace offensively and supplied superb defense all season long. His offense slumped a bit halfway through the season, but he regained his form and overall hit .300/.354/.435 with 7 HR over 545 PA, accruing 3.7 fWAR.
The complete list from MLB Network
Top 10 Second Basemen Right Now!
- José Altuve, Houston Astros
- Jed Lowrie, New York Mets
- Whit Merrifield, Kansas City Royals
- Robinson Canó, New York Mets
- Chris Taylor, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Scooter Gennett, Cincinnati Reds
- Joey Wendle, Tampa Bay Rays
- Gleyber Torres, New York Yankees
- Ben Zobrist, Chicago Cubs
- DJ LeMahieu, New York Yankees
Heading into 2019, Wendle is slated to be the Rays starting second baseman once again, but he will have to compete for the spot with the glut of other middle infielders vying for a position on the Rays roster.