There are several uniform announcements to be had this morning for the Tampa Bay Rays, starting with new uniform numbers for the new players.
Yandy Diaz has received the No. 2
Previously worn by: Denard Span (2018), Michael Martinez (2017), Shane Peterson (2017), Nick Franklin (2014-2016), Kelly Johnson (2013), B.J. Upton (2006-2012), Fernando Cortez (2005), Alex Sanchez (2005), Randy Winn (1998-2002)
Mike Zunino has received the No. 10
Previously worn by: Johnny Field (2018), Corey Dickerson (2016-2017), Jake Elmore (2015), Logan Forsythe (2014), Will Rhymes (2012), Kelly Shoppach (2010-2011), Justin Ruggiano (2007-2008), Dustan Mohr (2007), Luis Ordaz (2006), Chris Singleton (2005), Damian Rolls (2004), Rey Ordonez (2003), Jared Sandberg (2001-2002), Russ Johnson (2000), Rich Butler (1998-1999)
Avisail Garcia has received the No. 24
Previously worn by: Nathan Eovaldi (2018), Hank Conger (2016), Alexei Ramirez (2016), Grady Sizemore (2015), Ryan Hanigan (2014), Rich Thompson (2012), Manny Ramirez (2011), Dan Johnson (2008-2011), Kurt Birkins (2008), Justin Ruggiano (2008), Sean Burroughs (2006), Kevin Witt (2006), Charles Johnson (2005), Eric Munson (2005), Tino Martinez (2004), George Lombard (2003), Ryan Rupe (1999-2002), Mike Kelly (1998)
Charlie Morton has received the No. 50
Previously worn by: Austin Pruitt (2017-2018), Jhan Marinez (2016), Tyler Sturdevant (2016), Everett Teaford (2015), Grant Balfour (2007-2015), James Shields (2006), Chad Gaudin (2003-2004), Mike Judd (2001), Joe Kennedy (2001), Terrell Lowery (1999)
Austin Pruitt will change his number to No. 45 to accommodate Morton
Previously worn by: Jesus Sucre (2017-2018), Enny Romero (2013-2016), Russ Canzler (2011), Felipe Lopez (2011), Jay Witasick (2007), Ruddy Lugo (2006-2007), Dewon Brazelton (2002-2005), Trevor Enders (2000), Jim Mecir (1998-2000)
I hope Austin at least got a bottle of whiskey out of it.
Additionally, the Rays will bring back the popular Devil Rays throwbacks next season, per the team’s Equipment account:
- Truck Day is here! Ashley covered all the good stuff on social media, but for a deeper dive into the day, here’s the latest from Neil Solondz:
- Fox 13 profiled Kevin Kiermaier
Catching up with the #Rays Kevin Kiermaier. @KKiermaier39 @RaysBaseball pic.twitter.com/OujTlyyTTG— Kevin ODonnell Fox13 (@ODonnellFox13) January 31, 2019
- Marc Topkin covered the details of arbitration hearings, including a poignant interview with Jake Odorizzi
Why are @MLB’s arbitration cases being heard in St. Pete? What goes into staging them? What’s it like in the hearing room, where #Rays and Pham are headed? We explain... https://t.co/OJo1n2nD8q— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) January 31, 2019
- David Laurila profiled the rise of Ryne Stanek through the Rays system with an interesting angle: Ryne Stanek Rode Spin Efficiency to New Heights
- Wander Rays profiled Jesus Sanchez
- And in honor of the uniform number every team has retired:
We honor and thank Jackie Robinson today, on what would have been his 100th birthday. #Jackie42 | #RaysUp pic.twitter.com/EwQAeZ3S1Y— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) January 31, 2019
- The Mets have hired Russell Carlton from Baseball Prospectus, one of the great minds writing about baseball. You can read his goodbye here.
The Mets have hired Russell Carleton to join their front office.— Michael Mayer (@mikemayerMMO) January 31, 2019
He's a long-time Baseball Prospectus analyst and writer of recent book The Shift: The Next Evolution in Baseball.
- One of SB Nation’s best, Grant Brisbee, is joining The Athletic. You can read his goodbye article on McCovery Chronicles here.
I've joined The Athletic, and this is my first column! I will be writing mostly about ... [checks contract] ... the Giants???— Grant Brisbee (@GrantBrisbee) January 30, 2019
Man, I gotta get a new agent. https://t.co/Q6Zr2LpXu1
- NBC Sports: Spring training is a difficult time for unsigned free agents
- Jon Morosi dove into the Corey Kluber market:
#Dodgers and #Brewers have discussed Corey Kluber trade possibilities with #Indians, but they are running out of time to complete a deal as Spring Training nears. My latest story: https://t.co/qPjih8PIpM @MLB @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) January 31, 2019
- R.J. Anderson examined the latest technology coming for pitcher workouts
Chris Capuano retired from pitching a couple years back. These days, he's splitting his time between studying at MIT, selling a "smart" workout machine, and preparing for a future with the players union: https://t.co/QV4N9K0mFX— R.J. Anderson (@r_j_anderson) January 30, 2019
- Finally, please enjoy this excellent mural
Jackie was born 100 years ago today. If the life is only important for the impact it has on others, I would say it was triumphant. pic.twitter.com/KUkOoBy641— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) January 31, 2019