Covering the 5 MLB prospects who could move quickly in 2019, Joe Sheehan wrote for Baseball America that top Rays prospect Wander Franco could do the unthinkable and leap to the majors at 18 years old this year.
Franco’s pro debut featured a 1.004 OPS in the Rookie-level Appalachian League at a young 17; he won’t turn 18 until March 1. BA was the only major prospect ranker to have Franco on their Top 100 Prospects a year ago, wedging him in at No. 96 before he ever played a pro game. Now, he’ll be a top-15 guy going into 2019. Franco may be a long shot to make the leap—there’s been one 18-year-old in the majors in the last 40 years—but you have to at least consider the possibility given his absurd performance at 17.
Do you agree? Vote in the poll at the bottom of the page!
Rays News and Links
- By the way, Jose Alvarado was impossible - Jeff Sullivan, FanGraphs
Down the stretch, Alvarado struck out almost literally half of his opponents. He struck out the same rate of opponents as Edwin Diaz. I’ve written before about Ryan Pressly’s breakout. I’ve written before about Jose Leclerc’s breakout. What happened with Alvarado? Did anything happen with Alvarado? The answer is yes. He changed on the fly, and became something dominant.
- What to watch for as Spring Training approaches for the Rays - Ryan Stiles, Rays Colored Glasses
- Rays power search: Brian Dozier the answer? - Mat Germain, Wander Rays
- Charlie Morton went on MLB Network Radio yesterday and discussed his transformation into one of the game’s more dependable starting pitchers
- The status quo remains the same on the JT Realmuto front
Sources indicate Braves and Marlins have talked again about Realmuto. Braves appear to be waiting Marlins out. Rays remain a possibility.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) January 8, 2019
Around the League
- Barry Bonds, who can apparently do it all, now has the No. 1 Black Miniature Schnauzer in America - Michael Clair, Cut 4 MLB.com
- Milwaukee Brewers to sign Jake Petricka, per report - Kyle Lesniewski, Brew Crew Ball
- Report: Giants asked for Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff, or Freddy Peralta for Madison Bumgarner - Jaymes L, Brew Crew Ball
- The Cubs did try to trade Addison Russell early in the offseason - Al Yellon, Bleed Cubbies Blue
- Willians Astudillo clobbered a home run last night. Took some time to admire it, then took a jubilant stroll around the bases.
LONG LIVE WILLIANS ASTUDILLOpic.twitter.com/ofWiP6lTID— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) January 9, 2019
Wander Franco Poll!
When will Wander Franco make his major league debut?
This poll is closed
Opening Day 2019
After the deadline to achieve 2019 Super-2 status
After the 2019 Super-2 window has passed
As a 2019 September call-up / playoffs
After the 2019 season