- Top Photos of 2019 - The Ray Tank: Now we are on to the top 10 best photos from the 2019 Rays season.
- One of my favorite off the field things from the 2019 Rays season was the artist print series the Rays commissioned. The applications are now open for next seasons print series.
CALL TO ARTISTS! Creative Pinellas & @RaysBaseball are looking for #artists, designers & illustrators to create prints that represent their own style, perspective and interpretation of the Rays and @TampaBayRowdies brands. #RaysPrintSeries #pinellascounty https://t.co/r1PHRJs9Uw pic.twitter.com/BYYbW00wu1— Creative Pinellas (@PinellasArts) November 14, 2019
- Some great news for the Rays and Rays fans, the best sideline reporter since Todd Kalas and Kelly Nash, Tricia Whitaker confirmed that she will be back in 2020!
Random Thursday night FYI: some of you have asked if I’m returning to @RaysBaseball and @FOXSportsFL next season.— Tricia Whitaker (@TriciaWhitaker) November 14, 2019
You really think I would miss round two of these showers in 2020?! Come on now. #YoureStuckWithMe ☔️ pic.twitter.com/yEzwsDal4q
- The Worst Teams in Baseball History - Craig Edwards, Fan Graphs: It’s remarkable how the Devil Rays were so bad, yet also rarely the worst.
- The Atlanta Braves signed quite possibly the best reliever on the market, LHP Will Smith, to a 3 year deal ($39M) plus a club option.
- Last offseason we had (in my opinion) some pretty bad agent work which helped to delay the offseason and leave certain guys in the lurch. This is a great example of some damn fine leverage work from Smith’s agent:
Will Smith’s agent, Jeff Berry of CAA, effectively used the qualifying offer as leverage, telling interested teams he wanted a deal by today’s deadline or Smith would accept the one-year, $17.8M offer from #SFGiants. In the end, the #Braves bit.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 14, 2019
- MVP Awards announced:
AL MVP - Mike Trout (#3 although could easily have 5+. We are living in a time where an absolutely all time great exists and that is really, really cool)
NL MVP - Cody Bellinger (#1 for Bellinger, and did you know he passed his father in career WAR by the end of his first week in the majors?)
- Full list of votes for AL MVP: Juan Toribio and Marc Topkin voted Trout over Bregman. Topkin gave a 10th place vote to Charlie Morton, while Juan gave a 10th place vote wot Meadows. Meadows was the only Rays player to receive multiple MVP votes, with 4 10th place votes, 1 9th place, 1 8th place, and TR Sullivan of MLB.com giving Meadows his 5th place vote.
- Megathread collecting video clips of potential Astros sign stealing, and still growing (with some 2019 whistle signals too). I am thankful for this conspiracy and controversy to keep going during the offseason, as I keep diving into all the whistles and bangs and Zapruder-esc film study that is going on.
- Former Ray and current baseball sleuth, Trevor Plouffe has sources o a different sign stealing method!
- Related, Jomboy has the eye cam:
I'll dig around a little bit more but its not really worth it. This strategy (if true) was much smarter by the Astros, much harder to prove since we cant see the bullpen catcher & quick glances could mean anything/nothin at all— Jomboy (@Jomboy_) November 14, 2019
Springer looks that way before a lot of pitches tho pic.twitter.com/h86pB18hpe
- Some fascinating insight in this whole thread from World Series champ Sean Doolittle:
Major props to Mike Fiers and Carson Smith for coming forward to talk about sign stealing allegations. There’s been suspicion of this stuff for years but pitchers were hesitant to talk about it bc they didn’t want to sound crazy or make excuses. Now we might have some evidence.— Obi-Sean Kenobi Doolittle (@whatwouldDOOdo) November 15, 2019
- In particular for Rays fans, check out this sequence from 2017.
Hat tip to Reddit user u/canuckdude22 for noticing this first:
found this, it might be significant due to Beltrán’s recent comments.
CARLOS BELTRAN vs Tampa Bay Rays, 08/02/17
first pitch - one hit - slider
second pitch - two hits - change up
third pitch - two hits - change up
fourth pitch - one hit - slider
fifth pitch - nothing - fastball, groundout