Yasmani Grandal, the top FA Catcher on the market, is headed to the White Sox on a 4 year $73M deal. Good deal for the White Sox, good deal for Grandal. This also means now the rest of the Catcher market is wide open. The top end is set, and now those who were in or at least kicking the tires of Grandal have to shift their focus to the next in line.
The Rays are one of those teams. They have some money they can spend, but years AND money are going to be hard to part with, with the Rays cautious FO. Especially so with the young core all looking to hopefully make some bank in Arb in the coming years). So which shorter term options and upgrades are the Rays going to target and compete for? Our own, Dominick Vega has you covered there with a primer on “Which catchers might the Rays target on the free agent market?”.
- On 40-Man Decision Day and the Prospects Who Moved - Eric Longenhagen, Fan Graphs: Longenhagen breaks down the busy slew of moves, including two Rays trades before the deadline.
- For more on the 40-man decisions from the Rays, check out Neil Solondz interview with Marc Topkin and Rays VP of Baseball Ops James Click.
- ESPN’s 2019 All-MLB Team - Jeff Passan, ESPN: A couple of Rays make the ESPN MLB All 2nd team list.
- White Sox sign catcher Yasmani Grandal to the biggest contract in franchise history - Lamond Pope, Chicago Tribune: The top of the Catcher FA list is now crossed off, so the market for Catcher now is wide open.
- Looking back at Giants-Rays Matt Duffy trade that shocked fans, team - Alex Pavlovic, NBCSports: Lucius Fox is now the final member of that trade still with either team.
- Why the Rays traded Sanchez and De Leon - Seth Carter, Rays Colored Glasses
- Orlando baseball is not a threat to Tampa Bay, but apathy is - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times ($)
- Each MLB Team’s Most Untouchable Prospect This Offseason - Joel Reuter, Bleacher Report: I bet you can guess who he selects for the Rays.
- Phillies Hire Joe Dillon As Hitting Coach - Mark Polishuk, MLB trade Rumors: Old friend alert.