In the long list of items we can check off to officially inch closer and closer to the actual season, Monday will be the first day of camp with all 66 Rays present.
Now we just need to zoom ahead to Friday (first spring training game), and then quickly to March 28 (Opening Day for the Rays), and then to October 29 (when the Rays win their first title in franchise history; book it).
It may seem like baby steps, but we’re definitely getting there. Slowly but surely.
- Here are 10 players to watch this spring - As the guy who wrote the “Will Austin Meadows be the swing vote for 2019 season” I love to see that our fearless leader (Juan Toribio) also sees Meadows in the same light.
- Rays Tales: Are we really talking this much about the opener? - This is a very good take from Mr. Topkin. The crusty old vets really just need to move on. Just one more benefit of actual baseball starting.
- Tampa Bay Rays aren’t willing to concede AL East to Red Sox and Yankees - I can’t read this because I don’t have a subscription to The Boston Globe, but the title sounds condescending... Wait is this how fake news begins?
- Rays senior vice president of baseball operations and general manager Erik Neander goes over some expectations for this season:
- MLB Network has Blake Snell in as the No. 26 player in all of baseball. There are now 25 players who I think are overrated trash...
- Early favorite for Tweet of the Year:
- Like school photo day, but with some of the best athletes on the planet:
Quote of the Day
Other Rays Links
- Who is missing from Rays camp also matters - Topkin covers just how much changeover there was among coaches in particular this offseason.
- Tyler Glasnow improving delivery at camp - Assorted notes from Toribio highlighted by the Rays tallest pitcher tinkering with his windup to cut down on how long it takes him to get to home.
- Did you hear this one about new Rays pitcher Charlie Morton? - We signed a good one here, folks.
- Tale of the Tape - Dynasty: Alex Verdugo or Austin Meadows? - I assume I know which way y’all are going?