Marc Topkin offered a write up on Yandy Diaz’s journey to the Rays roster, including the harrowing 12-hour escape he made when he defected from Cuba, his fourth attempt to pursue a career in the big leagues.
Yandy Diaz persevered through 3 stints in a Cuban jail to get out for to play pro ball, and a trade from the #Indians has now thrust him into a big role with the #Rays https://t.co/HCBkaKhXdb— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) February 21, 2019
The experience was “akin to human trafficking,” and Diaz’s mother remains in Cuba. The second half of the article also profiles carious Rays players’ impressions of Diaz.
- 5 things learned during Rays’ first week - Juan Toribio shares his early impressions from Rays camp
- Guillermo Heredia may be quite a catch - After an impressive day in camp, Topkin shines a light on a secondary piece of the Mallex-Zunino swap.
- Baseball Prospectus previews the 2019 Rays: Here’s what’s ahead for Blake Snell, Kevin Kiermaier and Tommy Pham - Tom Bassinger offers his observations from the BP annual
- BP released their 2019 Prospects Organization Rankings and holy shirt balls it heavily features quotes from The Good Place. The Rays are second, with a positive caveat: “Pretty much any other year the Rays would be the no. 1 system in baseball.”
- Getting to Know — Mike Brosseau - Neil Solondz profiled the ZiPS darling
- Ian Gibaut injury update:
RHP Ian Gibaut flew to New York Wednesday to see specialist. He told me that the doctor agreed with initial diagnosis, and that it’ll be week-to-week to determine his return. #Rays— Steve Carney (@stevecarney) February 21, 2019
- Squid won the annual rookie Rays Idol competition, rapping Meek Mill’s “Dreams & Nightmares”
Your 2019 “Rays Idol” winner: @squid718!— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) February 20, 2019
Kevin Cash debriefs the media after workouts yesterday:
Emilio Pagan discusses his experience throwing BP (Willy and Wendle posted great at bats)
AV briefly discusses his Rays Idol performance
Spoiler alert: Lucius Fox profile coming tomorrow from Neil, here’s the audio. Fox is a great interview.