The MLB offseason lags on, with just under a week until spring training officially commences. Some of the game’s top talents still find themselves without a team, despite pitchers and catchers reporting on Monday.
Among those without a job is former Rays reliever, Sergio Romo, but that may change in the very near future as Jon Heyman reports the feisty sidewinder is close to signing a one year deal with an apparent mystery team.
sergio romo, former closer and sometime opener, is said to be close to signing a 1 year deal— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 5, 2019
Rays News and Links:
- Don’t be fooled by Rays’ nontraditional pitching rotation — their ‘starters’ can get outs - Tommy Rancel, The Athletic
- 10 players you forgot were Rays - Juan Toribio, MLB.com
- The High-Five of Tampa Bay First Basemen: No. 5, James Loney - Chloe Stowe, Rays Colored Glasses
- Speaking of Loney, he has signed with the Independent League Sugar Land Skeeters attempting to be a two way player as well as a coach.
The Skeeters have signed 11-year MLB veteran James Loney as a pitcher and position player.— Sugar Land Skeeters (@SL_Skeeters) February 5, 2019
Loney, a Houston native, will also serve as a player-coach for the Skeeters. Welcome home, James! pic.twitter.com/lFLsQRA6ta
- Five glaring holes on competitive teams (and how to fill them fast) - Eno Sarris, The Athletic
Best Option: Mike Moustakas to the Rays for three years and $40 million.
- When purchasing your Rays tickets this season, make sure to take advantage of the Rays friends and family discount
To my twitter friends if you want a jump on #Rays tickets in 2019 use my special friends and family link https://t.co/zUTbnFD3yt as it will be live on Wednesday 2/6 at noon. Take advantage of the chance to purchase before the general public and go Rays pic.twitter.com/1bn0EVO5GL— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) February 5, 2019
- Some Rays workout video prior to the massive onslaught of Rays workout videos next week
Around the League:
- Sources: MLB and players discussing rule changes that could alter game - Jeff Passan, ESPN.com
- White Sox reportedly add depth to outfield with Brandon Guyer - Vinnie Duber, NBC Sports
- REPORT: Phillies “making progress” in trade talks for J.T. Realmuto - John Stolnis, The Good Phight
- Milwaukee Brewers among a handful of teams who remain interested in Gio Gonzalez - Kyle Lesniewski, Brew Crew Ball