The Tampa Bay Rays will have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league this season in the form of reigning American League Cy Young winner, Blake Snell, and the man who closed out Game 7 of the 2017 World Series, Charlie Morton.
Snell made his spring training debut on Thursday, while Morton will make his debut on Friday. Having these two studs go back-to-back in the rotation is something I could get very used to, while the rest of baseball is going to be very flustered by.
Last season, the two combined to go 36-8 with a 2.49 ERA and 11.0 rWAR. Their ERA+ is a bit more difficult to combine, but it was somewhere in the realm of 175 — long story short: they dominated.
Snell picked up right where he left off on Thursday (see below), while Morton will likely toss an inning (maybe toss) against the Orioles on Friday. Get hype.
A win under the lights! https://t.co/JGcjXkfgN7#SpringRays pic.twitter.com/hWK49D9YmH— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) March 1, 2019
- The Rays won a tightly-contested, low-scoring affair on Thursday, collecting their one run when Lucius Fox (who is hitting .833 this spring) singled in Austin Meadows (who is slashing .500/.500/1.333 this spring). Eight different Rays pitchers combined for the two-hit shutout.
- One of those pitchers—the first one—was Mr. Cy Young, who offered the following after the game:
#Rays Snell on first outing of spring: pic.twitter.com/t2eX51AvQ6— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) March 1, 2019
- Your daily Rays Radio selection:
Rays News and Links
- Rays prospect Sanchez has more than bat - MLB.com
- Rays Top 50 Prospects: No. 7 Brandon Lowe - Wander Rays
- ‘Comfortable’ Castillo ready for any role - MLB.com
- Getting to Know — Andrew Velaszquez - Rays Radio Blog
- Blake Snell’s spring debut: 16 pitches, two strikeouts and plenty of ‘nasty’ - The Athletic (paywall)
- Table for Two: Previewing the 2019 Tampa Bay Rays - Baseball Prospectus (paywall)
- Why you won’t find Blake Snell’s Cy Young award at his house - Tampa Bay Times (paywall)
- Rays Journal: Why Charlie Morton will have all the feels in his Friday debut - Tampa Bay Times (paywall)