The Tampa Bay Rays were off yesterday, but there was still plenty happening at Port Charlotte as the Rays hosted a media day, featuring several of their top prospects, including Wander Franco.
Franco, who turned 18 this past Friday, is among the top prospects in all of baseball, ranking as high as 2nd over (FanGraphs) in national publications.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times ($) went in depth with the phenomenal prospect and spoke with Franco, as well as Mitch Lukevics (the Rays Director of Minor League Operations).
“There are not many players that I’ve come across in my career that hit like Wander Franco, especially at a young age. He has a really good bat-to-ball ratio. He just has the ability to hit a baseball. It’s special.’’ - Mitch Lukevics
As for actual game action, today the Rays will be playing two split-squad games as they’ll send a team to Fort Myers to take on the Minnesota Twins at 1:05. Later, they’ll hose the USF Bulls at Port Charlotte for a 6:05 contest.
News and Links
- Rays taking new approach with 2 way prospect - Juan Toribio, Rays Baseball
- Pham and Diaz rest minor injuries - Juan Toribio, Rays Baseball
- 5 things we know about the Rays after 10 games - Juan Toribio, Rays Baseball
- Breaking down all top 30 prospect lists - Jonathan Mayo, MLB Pipeline
- Tampa Bay Rays Prospects: Four Top Performers So Far - Mat Germain, Wander Rays
- Rays’ Honor Roll is a source of pride, and there are plenty of prospects on deck - Josh Tolentino, The Athletic ($)
- Tampa Bay Rays roster outlook: Wendle and Lowe anchor second base - Austin Reimann, Rays Colored Glasses
- Where Are You Now, Sam Fuld? - Chloe Stowe, Rays Colored Glasses