Last night, the Tampa Bay Rays took home another victory as they defeated the Baltimore Orioles by the score of 8-1.
Everything clicked once again for Tampa Bay as Ryne Stanek was excellent in the Opener, allowing a hit but also picking up three more strike outs. Yonny Chirinos delivered five scoreless inning as the bulk guy. Wilmer Font allowed the lone run, while Emilio Pagan was perfect in his Rays debut.
Offensively; Brandon Lowe, Ji-Man Choi, and Yandy Diaz all homered for Tampa Bay. There were a total of 17 balls put in play with exit velocities over 100 mph, a new franchise record. Mike Zunino doubled twice, while Willy Adames, Brandon Lowe, Yandy Diaz, and Kevin Kiermaier all doubled as well.
The Rays are now 14-4 to start the season, and have a 5.5 game lead on the New York Yankees in the division.
Tonight, the Rays will send Hunter Wood to the mound to open against Andrew Cashner as the Rays look for a series sweep.
News and Links
- Rays show off ‘laser show’ power display - Juan Toribio, Rays Baseball
Club hit 17 balls 100-plus mph in Wednesday’s win over Orioles
- As Pham’s on-base streak ends, a reminder of what his addition has meant to Rays - Eduardo A. Encina, Tampa Bay Times ($)
The Rays outfielder reached base in 48 straight games dating back to last season.
- Jim Duquette: The Top 10 pitching prospects in baseball - The Athletic ($)
6. Brent Honeywell, Rays
- Rays journal: Wendle’s pending return leaves Rays pondering how to keep hottest hitters in lineup - Eduardo A. Encina, Tampa Bay Times ($)
Joey Wendle could return from the IL on Saturday. How will the Rays fit him in the lineup.
- New Ball Is Sparking An Offensive Explosion In Triple-A - J.J. Cooper, Baseball America ($)
The power explosion we’ve seen at the major league level has migrated to Triple-A.
- This feat hadn’t happened in MLB since 2011 - Joe Trezza, MLB.com
Orioles catch Kiermaier stealing twice ... in the same inning
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is so strong he crushed a homer clear out of an entire Minor League ballpark - Adrian Garro, Cut4
Roll that beautiful Vlad Jr. footage ... pic.twitter.com/ONK5QNfgB5— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) April 18, 2019