- Rays GM Erik Neander likes what he sees, but says there’s ‘some sizing up to do’ - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: Still early, but the Rays have options and flexibility to add at the trade deadline (or perhaps earlier).
- Over the weekend, Charlie Morton was guest on the show Play Ball:
Dan Plesac hits the mound with Charlie Morton and visits with AL Cy Young winner Blake Snell and Tommy Pham. https://t.co/2FV2lQJYcG— Play Ball (@PlayBall) May 4, 2019
- The Rays will have a new Guest Host for the Trop when they return home. Still time to apply to become the full time in-stadium host!
- It’s been a long road, but Jose De Leon made his return to the mound in a live game.
- Nate Lowe’s quality at-bats impressing Cash - Jeff Seidel, MLB.com: The results haven’t been there just yet for Nate Lowe, but the process has looked good for manager Kevin Cash.
- Rays Tales: Why the draft in the clubhouse is a good thing - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: The Rays have had quite a few new call ups who have worked their way up through the Rays system from draft and now to the show.
- These 11 players have exceeded expectations - Richard Justice, MLB.com: More love for the breakout superstar level start to 2019 for Tyler Glasnow.
- Meet the Lowe’s:
Take a as we catch up with some off the field introductions with @raysbaseball Brandon Lowe and his wife on how they met and their competitive nature as a family.#RaysUp #MLB pic.twitter.com/sa4zlSSLe1— FOX Sports Florida (@FOXSportsFL) May 5, 2019
- Stark: Ten things we learned in April - Jayson Stark, The Athletics: Among the things Stark learned: “the Rays are for real”.
- Rays OF Tommy Pham inspired by visit to Negro Leagues Baseball Museum - Josh Tolentino, The Athletic: In case you missed it, this was a really enjoyable read getting to follow Pham and Josh exploring some important baseball history.
Around the League
- What Noah Syndergaard did is so rare -- it deserves its own name - Sam Miller, ESPN: Thor’s CG shutout, 1-0 victory where he delivered a solo HR himself for the only run of the game, is not a common accomplishment. Sam dives into what the name for that should be because frankly, it probably deserves one.