Yesterday afternoon, the Tampa Bay Rays failed to complete a sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks as they were defeated in an extra inning affair.
Charlie Morton labored through five innings, yielding two runs on seven hits four walks, but also racked up eight strikeouts during the performance. The Rays bullpen put in a valiant effort with seven scoreless innings before Adam Kolarek and Chaz Roe teamed up to allow the eventual go-ahead run in the 13th inning.
Offensively, the Rays just failed to come through when it mattered as they were 1-16 with runners in scoring position. Tommy Pham had the best day offensively, as he went 2-3 with a double, but would also be picked off in the 12th inning.
Mike Zunino, who had an opportunity to tie the game in the 8th with the bases loaded, grounded into a force out. When running out the groundball, he hobbled into first base, but would be left in the game to run. However, Nick Ciuffo would replace him in the next half inning. The reasoning after the game was that he was dealing with quad tightness and would see a doctor.
Prior to the game, the Rays placed Michael Perez on the Injured List with an oblique strain.
Immediately following the game, the Rays optioned Nate Lowe to Durham, a corresponding move as yet to be announced.
News and Links
- What’s happening in Tampa Bay art: ‘Dalí Lives,’ Tampa Bay Rays’ Artist Print Series - Maggie Duffy, Tampa Bay Times ($)
- Catch the series premiere of ‘Rays All-Access’ on May 12 on FOX Sports Sun - Fox Sports Sun
- I Wanna Be Like Mike (Trout)...talking about Tommy Pham - Ben Clemens, FanGraphs
- The Rays’ latest brainstorm is a monster - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times ($)
- This happened in the Red Sox - Orioles game