On a weekend in which the Rays were battling their hated rivals in Boston, the sports world gave us a bit of perspective, as we all became Red Sox fans for a moment Sunday night when news of David Ortiz being shot swirled around the internet.
Now there was a lot of questionable reporting and speculation (as well as terrifying video leaks), so we will wait to post any official news here for a moment, but the overall point remains: every single baseball fan in the world is sending the best possible vibes they can to Big Papi and his family. Even if you hate the Red Sox with every fiber of your being (guilty), you love David Ortiz and what he meant to the game, as well as the pure love he played the game with.
Sunday night was a very sad, shocking, disorienting, and disquieting evening. Hopefully there is a positive resolution out of this horrible story, and Ortiz is able to fully recover. We are all truly sending our thoughts your way, David.
Rays News and Links
- Genuine stuff — Profile of Charlie Morton, who has done nothing but impress in his first season in a Rays uniform.
- Good time Charlie Morton has reason for his pessimism — More Morton! More-ton?
- How Tampa Reliever Emilio Pagan Has Rays(ed) His Game — Solid pun work in the title, and another good breakdown on the Rays breakout bullpen arm.
- MLB’s Best Positioned Infields — Cool article; Rays No. 3.
- Ji-Man Choi is holding down first base for the Rays, and he’s having fun doing it — What a truly lovable man. Mike Trout agrees!
- It’s Brandon Lowe, as in wow, as he shows again Sunday — As someone who just snagged Lowe in a keeper league trade, I can say Sunday was indeed even more awesome.
- Let the virtual brawls begin: Jonah Keri picks his early All-Star rosters — Four Rays.
- Stark: Useless Info Dept, “Field of Inceptions” Edition — Stanek as the lead.
- Ryan Yarbrough discusses developing his cutter after he was traded to Tampa Bay
- David Laurila transcribed some memorable life experiences from Kevin Cash and newly promoted reliever Colin Poche