The Tampa Bay Rays fell yesterday afternoon, thanks to a bullpen implosion as the trio of Adam Kolarek, Chaz Roe, and Colin Poche teamed up to surrender four runs in the eighth inning, to allow the Oakland Athletics to take a 6-2 lead and eventual victory.
Kolarek allowed a leadoff single, Roe managed a strikeout but walked two hitters, and then Poche yielded the grand slam that sealed the Rays fate.
Offensively, the Rays hit the ball hard but had little to show for it. Yandy Diaz had the lone extra base hit, a 7th inning double that brought home Guillermo Heredia. The Rays tied the game thanks to a bases loaded infield single from Avisail Garcia.
Yonny Chirinos was excellent again as he allowed just two runs on seven hits, striking out seven and walking one over his six innings of work.
News and Links
- The Rays look to be making a couple of roster moves as they reportedly optioning INF Christian Arroyo to Triple-A and are going to activate 2B Joey Wendle off of the 10-day IL. RHP Andrew Kittredge has also been added to the taxi squad.
- The Rays May Have Another Cy Young Contender - Connor Byrne, MLB Trade Rumors
Charlie Morton garnering some attention
Brandon Lowe garnering some attention
James Click goes on the Executive Access podcast
- Rays, Enchant Christmas partner for Christmas experience at Tropicana Field - The Ray Tank
- Game 68: Rays vs Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim — Pregame News and Notes - Neil Solondz, Rays Radio
- 2019 Top 100 Prospects - Baseball America
Wander Franco is now ranked as the 2nd best prospect in all of baseball
- 2015 International Class Shaping Up To Be An All-Time Group - Ben Badler, Baseball America
- ‘It’s never going to be fair. Big market vs. small market’: Assessing the Rays’ All-Star chances - Josh Tolentino, The Athletic
- Ranking the best defensive outfields in baseball right now - Marc Simon, The Athletic
The Rays outfield is ranked 5th
- New Trier grad Ben Brecht ready to go pro as Tampa Bay’s fifth-round pick - Mark Perlman, Winnetka Talk
- What’s wrong with Rays reliever Chaz Roe? - Ryan Kolakowski, Tampa Bay Times
- 1 Year Later, Pirates’ Chris Archer Trade Looks Like a Colossal Disaster - Jacob Shaffer, Bleacher Report
- Is There A Trade Market For Edwin Encarnacion? - Jeff Todd, MLB Trade Rumors